A year ago or so I wrote this post.
Last year I was…
whining, complaining, surviving – and then God smacked me over the head with pictures on Facebook of others who were far-off worse than myself. Families who had lost their homes, lost family, lost everything. That was the devastating typhoon that hit the Philippines.
I hung up a “Blessings” poster on the wall. I got the whole family involved… some evenings might have involved some twisting of arms, but they did it. It was so good for us all!
I wanted, and still do want, my kids to have a thankful heart – to be grateful without me telling them that they should be. I don’t want them complaining about the small stuff. That chart, I believe, has helped all of us to find something each day to be grateful for.
And this evening, I’m grateful that my kids are usually….
- happy to get a piece of chewy-type candy from our guard (really he is just an elderly man who sits on first floor to sign for mail). I’m grateful that they don’t complain about not getting the imported candy.
- super stoked, though, for the times they do get the imported candy.
- always excited about a bag of new-to-them clothes (read secondhand).
- most of the time grateful for whatever is put on the table to eat.
- happy to do odd jobs for little cash – they’re learning to appreciate the value of saving money.
I don’t have perfect children, by any stretch of the imagination. They are normal children who are sometimes ungrateful, who whine, who try to bribe me to get their way, who disobey, who test my nerves – but they have their shining moments. And it is in those shining moments that I can see God working in their life. That He is walking them through the process of life – and teaching them to be thankful. I know He’s been teaching me!
By the way…..here’s a recent picture of our Blessing Chart from last year. I’m pretty sure I’ll be putting up a new one at the beginning of the calendar year. I believe we’ve just started a new tradition.
What do you do to teach your kids to be thankful?
I’m linking up with Velvet Ashes this week at The Groove. This week’s theme is “Thank You!”